The purpose of Adult Protective Services is to assist vulnerable and elder adults in need of protection to prevent or discontinue abuse, neglect, or exploitation until that condition no longer requires intervention.
- Services shall be consistent, if at all possible, with the accustomed lifestyle of the vulnerable adult.
- The vulnerable adult has the right to self-determination.
- All services provided are voluntary unless court ordered.
- Services provided should be least restrictive in nature and community based when possible.
- Family members and others who are concerned for the vulnerable adult should be allowed and encouraged to take responsibility. The State will accept responsibility only when no other resource is available.
AuthorityThe Utah State Department of Human Services is the umbrella agency with oversight responsibility for the Division of Aging and Adult Services. The Adult Protective Services agency is a unit of the Division of Aging and Adult Services. Adult Protective Services are mandated by Utah Law 62A-3-302 and 76-5-111.1
If you have questions, or comments regarding the Adult Protective Services Web Site, Please send us an E-Mail.